Monday, June 04, 2007

The Rescue of Doll

Some of you who have been reading my blog for awhile may remember a few posts, several months back, regarding the Adventures of Doll and then the Misadventures of Doll. Well, she's been at it again! Today's story was nearly total disaster for Doll.

It happened that last Thursday, while John was away, I needed to send and receive some emails. Due to a computer problem which I shall not go into here, we have not been able to do this at home, but must pack up the computer and go each time to our friends the Stam's home. They have wireless, and have opened their doors to us so graciously and unreservedly. John has even been there late into the night doing emails! So on Thursday, when I needed to accomplish this task by myself, I had no choice but to pack up the girls and all of their various accoutrements (i.e. Doll and two special blankets) to go and play for awhile at the Stams while I worked on emails.

The visit itself had its own drama--I had some issues getting Outlook to open and then midway through sending, realized how foolish I was to send a 14MB file to some friends in Asia. I tried to stop the process but Outlook just kept freezing up on me. Argh! I wish I was more computer savvy!

Finally I did get everything to work, and as the girls and I picked up toys and prepared to go, I was in a bit of a hurry, being way past suppertime and having hungry girls on my hands. Chip helped me carry Clara Anne out to the car, we loaded up and drove off.

But unbeknownst to me, Doll, precious Doll, was left behind. We missed her immediately as we prepared for bed, but I assumed that she had gotten left on the sofa near where the girls were playing. "We'll get her tomorrow when we go back, Clara Anne. You can sleep with just your blanket tonight."

However, Doll was not on the sofa. She had been carelessly dropped as I fastened Clara Anne into her car seat, and was lying by the side of the road! Thankfully, when taking their dogs out for a walk, Chip saw what he thought was a piece of trash, so went over to investigate and discovered the awful truth . . . Doll had almost met her end. Chip rescued her and brought her, special delivery, over to our apartment the next day, and related the whole sad story.

Clara Anne still has not grasped how close she was to losing Doll. It's probably just as well. But I can tell that we're going to have to take special care of Doll from now on! After all she has been through, and all of the places around the world that Doll has visited, we would hate to lose her now! Thanks to Chip for saving the day!

2 comments:

Kevin and Becky said...

Oh dear, Doll! You really must be more careful. As Clara Anne climbs the corporate ladder from his mid-level entry position, who else will she turn to in the inevitable crisis of stress? Shame on you, Doll, for being so thoughtless of dear Clara Anne.

Chris said...

Rachel,

One of the great things you can do if you want to send a file to someone is to upload the file to http://www.mediafire.com, and then send the link to the person you want to send the file to. It is a free service, and there isn't a download limit (if you want several people to download the file).

By the way, I love the blog, and it has been fun to share it with my wife.