Monday, November 12, 2007

So I spent the whole weekend . . .

In my pajamas. Yes, that's right, little did I know when I got ready for bed on Friday night that I would not get out of my jammies until this morning. I hadn't been feeling well on Friday, but just thought it was a bit of pregnancy symptoms gone haywire--after lunch I suddenly felt like I must lie down and rest, and even after resting I didn't feel well, which I attributed to the fact that there had hardly been any protein, just vegetables, in our lunch. So I ate my customary two eggs and expected to feel better, but alas! Friday night John and I (re)watched a movie and took things easy, but when Saturday morning came I couldn't get out of bed without feeling lightheaded, weak, and generally awful. We had to cancel our normal Saturday get-together, a true bummer, because I just wasn't up to it. I basically did not get out of bed on Saturday and Sunday, and Sunday was even worse because I wasn't able to hold down any food or water. Finally at that point, I realized this might be something more than just extra-bad prego stuff going on! Which was good news, in that maybe it would have a limited duration, rather than lasting the 23 weeks that I have left in my pregnancy!

So I think a bit of a flu bug has hit. The girls are now fighting off runny noses, but I am starting to feel a bit better, thanks to a lovely long bath at my friend Rachel's this morning (boy, do we need to get a bathtub!) and being able to eat and drink a bit without throwing up today. It's funny how being able to eat is such a blessing that we truly take for granted 99% of the time. I'm hopeful that perhaps I will be feeling much better soon and that the girls or John won't get it. Kudos to John, by the way, he really stepped up and took over with the girls the last few days. It was funny, though--last night he took them to McDonald's and they ate and played at the play area, and when he got home he was so tired! He said, "wow, it really takes a lot of energy to engage with both of them!" I obviously couldn't agree more!

So now I should get back to resting. Sorry for the lack of posts lately--I keep waiting for my energy level to rise a bit and instead this past weekend is what happened. But, this too shall pass, right? Here's hoping for happier news next time!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww.. . . so sorry to hear about your sickness. i just got over a 2-3 week long sickness with an extra round of antibiodics, etc. i'm teaching elementary music, so this explains a lot--being around the little ones. i'm sure it doesn't make life easy with children and also with being pregnant. glad you have a special husband to help care for you in big and small ways. hope you feel better soon. hang in there!! and thanks for the yummy recipe! can't wait to see THIS year's thanksgiving photos. i still remember the ones you posted from last year.

Love,
Angela

Gretchen said...

AW. . . poor Rachel. I'm so sorry to hear it. Praise the Lord for a helpful husband! Bless your heart.

~Gret

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Courtney said...

Hope you're feeling better, I'm sure that's so tough being pregnant already and your 2 busy girls! Love to you friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, it's so fun to read your blog and know that baby #3 is on the way! Congratulations! We've missed getting to see you guys but look forward to Feb. Sorry to hear you've been sick. Ugh, there's not much worse than the stomach flu! We're praying for a smooth pregnancy for you. Hug your cute girls for us! Love, Brigitte