Thursday, October 23, 2008

And Yet Another Language Gaffe

So what did I say this time? (Friendly reminder, I have been living in this country for almost five years now!)

My helper, Lou, and I were talking about the differences in American homes and homes found here in this country. She was saying how amazingly clean, bright, beautiful, and lovely American homes look to her. She had seen some pictures of my parents' home in Iowa, and was truly amazed at the greenness of the backyard, the cleanliness of the interior, and the sheer beauty of a home nicely decorated. When I told her that my parent's home is a nice home, but certainly not exceedingly large or expensive by American standards, she could hardly believe it.

As we flipped to the next page in the picture album, I said, "Oh, yes, this picture was taken in my parent's . . . (thinking hard, oh what is that word for basement?!) . . . hell." "WHAT?" she said. I said, "I mean, you know, like where our storage unit is . . . in the . . . " and she finally took pity on me and helpfully filled in the word, "Basement!"

We had a good laugh over that one! I think I scared her a little bit!

I have only some pathetic excuses for this ridiculous misuse of language. The only reason I can think that I managed to mix up "hell" and "basement" is that they both start with the same initial word but the ending words are different. As well, I've been studying a lot of spiritual language recently and so I guess that other word was on my mind.

Oops! Keeping me humble, that's for sure!

3 comments:

SingerMamaMelody said...

That's hilarious! Let us know if you have more funny language stories. :) I think about you all the time! Hope you're having a great weekend. Lots of love!

Gretchen said...

Yes, that is possibly the funniest thing I've heard today!! HAHA! Can I submit it to GirlTalk for their Friday Funnies??

Rachel said...

Hi Gretchen,
Sure, go ahead! It gave me a good laugh, it might as well bring a few smiles elsewhere as well!

Rachel

PS I would have tried to take your Reformation quiz but I had absolutely no idea on just about all of them! Sorry about that! The party looks fabulous, though--wish we could join you!