Sunday, April 27, 2008

Be Still, My Soul

Yesterday afternoon our family went for a walk along the seashore. This seaside city has over 40 km of walking path along the ocean, and so we took a taxi to a particular spot and then had fun exploring along the coastline. The girls thought it was really fun to climb on the big rocks (they must get that from their father!) and I enjoyed finding a flat spot to sit and enjoy the ocean view. We found a great promontory point where there were very few people and lots of larger ocean waves crashing in. As I was sitting there, with the fresh breeze in my face and contemplating the power of the ocean and the force with which it crashed over the rocks, suddenly my heart was moved to worship again. I was reminded of His power, His might, His sovereign control over all things. My worries and stresses about the baby and her arrival (or lack therof) quickly faded into the background as the words of the great hymn, Be Still, My Soul, came to mind.
I remembered that this hymn was a great comfort to me when I was pregnant with Clara Anne. Being a first-time mom and new to another very foreign culture, and especially because I was sick for such a long time with Clara Anne, there seemed to be lots to worry about. But the truth of this hymn really encouraged me and so I thought I would share its verses here; I trust it will encourage you too! The text was written by Katharina von Schlegel in 1752, translated by Jane Borthwick in 1855. The tune is Finlandia.
Be still, my soul! The Lord is on your side:
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to your God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul! Your best, your Heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul! Your God will undertake
To guide the future as He has the past;
Your hope, your confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul! The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
Be still, my soul! The hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul! When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Yes, that is John, carrying Chloe and holding Clara Anne's hand, clambering over the rocks! By the time we left this spot the tide had come in enough to cover with water the places where they were climbing.

Maybe it's not just me . . . maybe you have something on your heart today that you need to tell your soul, "Be Still!" The waves and winds still know his voice who ruled them when He dwelt below. PTL!

2 comments:

The Culbertsons said...

Rachel, that is also my favorite hymn. Selah's version of it is beautiful. This hymn was a great comfort for me last year when I was pregnant with Thomas, we were moving to SC, and Josh had no job. My favorite lines are:

Leave to your God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.

Thanks for reminding me of it today. You are in my thoughts as you continue to wait on the Lord's perfect timing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel. We are keeping up with you via your blog. You are in my thoughts as you wait for baby Wind. Thanks for the powerful reminders in this hymn....amazing!

Erica (and Scott) Riddell