Saturday, October 10, 2009

As Requested (almost forgot)

I almost forgot to post the request for the cream soup substitute! Here it is--it works wonderfully.

2 cups non-fat dry milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup low sodium chicken bouillon granules
2 Tbsp dried minced onion
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

To use, mix 1/3 cup of the powdered mixture with 1 1/4 cups water. This equals one can of soup. I love this blend because it is more deeply seasoned than the canned stuff, with less salt too. If you are concerned about consistency, you can also heat the 1 1/4 cups water in a small saucepan, add the powder and cook until thickened. But in most recipes you can just add the powder with the other dry ingredients and the water with the other wet ingredients, cooking it together later.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

SingerMamaMelody said...

This looks great! I make a cream base too that I use for lots of stuff, including mac n' cheese! YUM! Thinking of you, dear friend.

Love you,
Melody

sandra said...

You are so right. They are, in fact, bouillon granules. I've been calling them bouillon pellets.

Thanks for this great recipe. I didn't have one this easy.