Monday, September 15, 2008

A week away, and for my good

Last week our family and the other "friends" we have in town here committed to spending a week fasting from any forms of media input other than the good Book--no movies, other books, internet surfing, or things like that. We wanted to have some more focused time in the Word and chose the Psalms as a great place to start. I wondered how the week would go, and was not just pleasantly surprised but amazingly blessed.

I don't consider myself to have a lot of free time for reading or other media since I have three small ones, three and under, but in fact last week I realized how much time I do have. A few minutes here, a few there, a half hour here checking my google reader, an evening there watching a movie . . . I actually have more time than I think. It was truly refreshing to focus my thoughts during those times on reading the psalms during those random times. I just kept my Book nearby, wherever I was in the house, and had my place marked, and picked it up as often as I could. I spent some good time in the 90s and 100s, very encouraged and struck again and again by the richness of the Word.

Of course, this "bits-and-pieces" reading is no substitute for sitting down and having a more focused, lengthy time to read and meditate, but when I think about the cumulative effect of the whole week, it was really a beneficial exercise. It focused my time, allowing me to "make the most of the opportunities" and encouraged the good words to linger in my mind because of the frequent intake. Since John was also participating, we had some great family times as well with our "extra" time. Instead of "getting caught" in the online net in the evening, we spent time reading the psalms or singing around the piano or playing games. Freedom from the internet can be a wonderful thing!

So, I had a week away, not from home, but from the media. I highly recommend it! It is especially wonderful to undertake a new venture like this with Father and see His faithful answers. Let me know if you decide to try it, and how it goes! Blessings!

No comments: